July 2, 2008

Moving forward

Just came back from my hsg...all clear! yeay!
What a heavy load off my shoulders. I have been so worried about this test, for both physical and emotional reasons. I was so ready for them to say 'i see blocked fallopian tubes' or that something is not right with my uterus. I am so, so, so relieved. For now of coarse. I know there could still be a million different things wrong with me, but i'm glad to know my tubes and uterus look good.

I definitely worked myself up for this test. I did too much research, read too many stories. I took 3 aleve prior to the appointment, and i was still shaking out of control. The dr and assistant were so nice, really, they couldnt be nicer. They completely explained everything that was happening, before and during the process. I even got a demonstration with the tube and balloon of what and how it was going to happen. I think the whole thing would have been a breeze if i didnt have such a narrow cervix. Thats when the uncomfortable pain came in. He was having problems getting the catheter through to my uterus, so he was using these long metal things (i forgot what they were called), i guess to widen my cervix and make it easier to get the tube through. They tried 5 times (each metal stick a little thicker and painful) and finally they got it through, blew up the little balloon (slightly painful), and started the dye. At that point I didnt feel a thing (with the exception of the tubes and speculum in me). They told me to tilt to the right, tilt to the left, then I saw the thumbs up. And repeat, pump of dye, tilt right, tilt left, and thumbs up. I was so happy I started to cry.

My husband was there waiting for me, and it was nice to see his face when I walked out to the waiting room. They told me to take it easy and gave me a prescription for Cipro (because they did poke my cervix 5 times), so hubby is getting it for me now.

Honestly, I am so happy that its over. It wasn't the most pleasant, but it could have been worse. Next is hubby's sa, and talk to my dr about next step. I have no problem going for an iui next month (maybe I shouldnt read up on it), even though insurance doesnt cover it. Depending on how much it cost, I think I saved enough for a few cycles worth.

Now I'm excited. I feel better and ready to move forward. I'm ready to embrace science.

btw, thank you for all the well wishes. I truly appreciate your comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to here things went well!

(I'm a veggie and infertile originally from New Zealand but living in Australia - convuluted huh!?)

Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Clearly i meant "to HEAR" things went well, not here.

Geez, get it together!! hahah.

CG said...

Glad to know that your HSG was clear and was not so painfull.

s.e. said...

I have something to learn from you in respects to being "ready to embrace science." Glad you are one step closer to your little one!