February 20, 2008

Rachel Ray VS Veganomicon

I have no idea when I ovulated, if I did at all. I can usually tell after I Oed because I get the typical abundant thick, tacky, white cm (wow, that's very personal, TMI). Today I'm CD 17, and I haven't gotten it yet. It's been thicker then last week, but not like the usual. wtf.

I may have ovulated early this month. As I examine my chart, I got some stretchy cm (thanks to evening primrose oil and drinking green tea) on CD 9. That's super early. And my nips started hurting CD 14. Weird. They don't normally hurt, so I don't know if the pain was a few days before I Oed, or right at O. I obsess over my chart so I'm pretty sure of when I ovulate, and it's generally the same time every month, give or take a day. I’m confused.

I should really buy the OPKs just to be sure. And I would if I wasn't so cheap. $20 every month for little pee sticks, obsurd. And I cant stand the thought of paying $75 (or more) for one of those reusable, digital doodads. I would hate to spend the money, and then get pregnant. What a waste! In the meantime, I've been saying that for 8 months. If i bought it the first month, i would've definitely gotten my money's worth.

I’m watching Rachel Ray on the Food Network. I’m so not a fan, never was. I hate the ‘delish’, ‘sammies’, all those stupid words she uses. But most of all, her recipes suck. The few meals I tried I didn’t like. I will give her credit for a wonderful marketing job. She’s definitely got the right people working for her.

You know when a brand does good when my sister buys into it. She lives her life by what everyone else is doing, and I’m surprised it took her this long to finally jump on the RR bandwagon. 6 months ago when she told me she’s totally into her and bought her cookbook, I laughed. Now everything she makes is from Rachel Ray. She knows I'm such a foodie so she gets excited when she tells me about the meals she makes. For V-day she was telling me about the mini meatloafs she made; a RR recipe. It’s kinda funny, but go figure. We are opposites.

I actually made something pretty good last night, Chickpea Romesco from Veganomicon. It was quite tasty and very healthy. I’ve made a bunch of recipes from that cookbook, and its been hit or miss (so far lots of misses). But this one was good and different, a favorite so far. I can see using the sauce for different things like a pasta sauce, a dip, on top of fish. Mmm, that would be good. It was even better for lunch today. Yummo.

Time for tea.

3 comments:

SassyCupcakes said...

When I was using OPK's I bought them off eBay - about 50 for $20. You might want to check it out.

Rita said...

RR scares me!
But then again - I'm not a cook. i hate cooking - sad but true.
So if you Ov'd early... and what are your symptoms now?
Inquiring minds want to know
fingers crossed
~Rita

kate said...

Back in the day, a million years ago or whenever RR started broadcasting, I thought she was interesting. I liked her premise of convincing people to put down the takeout menus and make a real dinner, but her perkiness got grating after a while.
I've found a few of her recipes or techniques that don't totally suck, but I can't rely on them, really.

I hear you on the cost of OPKs. After two months of spending a buttload of money on them, I realized that I wasn't necessarily using them correctly, and thus, had wasted 2 months thinking that I wasn't Oing. Stupid. And at that point, I was ready to take a break for a while. Eesh.

I'm Kate, BTW. I blog over at http://theonlybeeinyourbonnet.blogspot.com. I found you on the Stirrup-Queen's list.